Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Thought control

A little over a year ago, in the fabled season of 2006, the Twins were stinking up the place really badly in June. They were producing no runs, the pitching was spotty at best and the fielding was starting to fall apart. It tore at my heart. I remember the point where I tearfully addressed the Twins (on TV) telling them they should be ashamed. They should be very ashamed. They were playing truly awful baseball. Coming off the field there weren’t any points where they could have said we were close, or we played well, the other team was just a bit better or any of those bromides. The Twins just stunk. And to make this stink even worse for any long time Twin fan, this was a year they had dedicated to the memory of Kirby Puckett.

My address to the Twins via my TV set expressed my low point in fandom for this decade. I was about to throw in the towel and find something less painful to do with my evenings - perhaps to watch bowling? But right at this same time Gardenhire had a chat with Morneau and we all know what happened after that. This same stinking bunch of ball players somehow pulled things together and played in to a divisional title and another abortive try in the playoffs.

Maybe, if all the Twins fans gather in front of their TVs and radios, and we all address the team at once?

No comments: